The American Red Cross
Major Gift Officer
The American Red Cross depends on the support of the generous donor population to help communities in need. Our Financial Development team focuses on the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of corporate, foundation, and individual donors from across the country. The funds we receive allow the American Red Cross to engage in its lifesaving mission to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
We are currently seeking a Major Gifts Officer-Foundation Partnerships
for our Greater New York Region. The position is located in our New York City office at 520 West 49
The Major Gifts Officer-Foundations is responsible for his/her own funder portfolio, managing all stages of development, including assessment, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship with the expectation of raising or exceeding a personal fundraising goal of $500k each fiscal year. The Foundations Officer simultaneously provides support to the Director and other fundraisers throughout the region accordingly:
· helps to develop a comprehensive annual foundation fundraising plan for the region;
· maintains a regional grants management calendar;
· runs a series of monthly funder reports;
· coordinates stewardship events;
· performs prospect research;
· writes and edits proposals, reports, and stewardship updates;
· coordinates all supporting documentation required for submission to foundation prospects and partners; and manages the grant acknowledgement process.
The Major Gifts Officer-Foundation Partnerships will be responsible for attending meetings with senior foundation staff as a donor-facing fundraiser, in addition to compiling information and writing significant grants. Helping colleagues on the corporate team with grant proposals will also be expected on occasion.
The Major Gifts Officer-Foundation Partnerships will attend weekly team meetings and periodic fundraising trainings. The Major Gifts Officer-Foundation Partnerships may also recruit and train volunteers as needed to support ongoing fundraising activities and assist in special projects to support the American Red Cross Greater NY Region Development department.
All applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor's degree and have a minimum of five years of experience in development.
Candidates for the position of Major Gifts Officer-Foundation Partnerships must be a highly energetic, self-starting, and diligent individual who can express ideas, recognize opportunities, and clearly communicate goals and objectives.
They must also provide evidence of the following skills and abilities:
1) Ability to multitask
2) Written and verbal communication skills
3) Organizational skills
4) Ability to work with a diverse constituency of donors representing the foundation community throughout the Greater NY Region
5) Ability to work independently and productively in partnership with staff and volunteers
6) Strong attention to detail
7) Ability to prioritize assignments in a fast-paced environment
8) Mastery of basic computer software, applications and functionality including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email and Internet
9) Working knowledge of database systems
If this sounds like the kind of opportunity that you’ve been waiting for, please visit our website at:
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development, team spirit, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
American Red Cross
Job Location City:
New York City
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip:
Each day, thousands of people – people just like you – provide compassionate care to those in need. Our network of generous donors, volunteers and employees share a mission of preventing and relieving suffering, here at home and around the world. We roll up our sleeves and donate time, money and blood. We learn or teach life-saving skills so our communities can be better prepared when the need arises. We do this every day because the Red Cross is needed - every day.