We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Volunteer Leadership and Senior Director of College Alumni Programs.
1. Administrative Support:
• Supports the administrative work of the Volunteer Leadership and College Alumni Programs teams.
• Keeps office records and files; provides information to alumni, faculty and staff; handles correspondence, mailings, reimbursements, database management, web updates, and notetaking.
• Coordinates calendars and assists with meetings.
• Covers front desk duties as assigned. This includes: answering the telephone; sorting mail; helping staff and visitors; and other duties as warranted.
2. Meetings and Events:
a. Assists with marketing, registration management, materials creation, and staffing for programs such as HAA Board Meetings, Executive Committee retreats, Commencement, Class meetings, and other HAA-sponsored events as assigned. This includes creating online registration forms, sending broadcast emails, downloading registration information, nametag and attendee list production, database management (Filemaker Pro, Excel, and Advance), and answering event-related questions.
b. Assists with the coordination of the HAA hospitality center in Harvard Yard on Commencement day.
c. Manages and coordinates Commencement ticket distribution to the public and University community. Orders regalia for alumni Aids and Marshals and Happy Committee.
d. Drafts program briefings and timelines. Compiles and distributes materials.
3. Alumni Engagement and Stewardship:
a. Interacts and supports alumni and community members ranging from current students to 90 year olds.
b. Assists with the process of welcoming new volunteers and thanking those that are rotating off including mail merges, database management, certificate creation, and mailings.
The above covers the most significant responsibilities of the position. It does not, however, exclude other duties, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the level of the position, including ability to work some evenings and weekends in conjunction with the HAA Board Meetings, College Class Activities, and Commencement.
Two to three years related office experience.
Exceptional customer service skills, strong writing skills, and attention to detail necessary.
Microsoft Office proficiency required.
Must occasionally work weekend and evening hours.
1. BA/BS degree or equivalent; office experience in an academic environment ideal. Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must be professional, proactive, collaborative, results-oriented, and be able to adapt to changing priorities. Must possess exceptional customer service skills.
2. Must have ability to establish and promote good working relationships with alumni volunteers and donors. Must have an even disposition with a poised confidence and have the ability to deal effectively and politely with people from different backgrounds, experience levels and in all types of situations. It is essential that the individual be courteous and flexible under stress. Must be able to work independently and take initiative.
3. Must have demonstrated abilities to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound, and confidential judgment. Must maintain a professional, caring, and conscientious demeanor at all times.
4. Must have cultural sensitivity and awareness of diversity issues regarding the internal and external Harvard community.
5. Solid computer skills in a PC environment with the capability to master new software applications and technologies. Advanced expertise in the functional use of Word and Excel are required. Excellent word processing and accurate keyboarding skills required****