Operation Smile, Inc.
Virginia Beach, VA, United States
Public Interest, Volunteer, Internship
Operation Smile has provided hundreds of thousands of safe surgeries for those born with cleft lip, cleft palate or other facial deformities. With more than three decades of expertise, Operation Smile creates solutions that deliver free surgery to people where it’s needed most. As one of the largest medical volunteer-based nonprofits, Operation Smile has mobilized thousands of medical volunteers from a wide range of medical specialties from more than 80 countries. Operation Smile engages public-private partnerships to advance health care delivery, train local medical professionals to provide surgical care for patients in their communities, donate crucial medical equipment and supplies, and increase access to surgical care so that everyone living with cleft is treated.
Visit www.operationsmile.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
The U.S. Volunteer Program Intern will work with the U.S. Volunteer Coordinator and U.S. Volunteer Manager to help manage and engage our 1,000 U.S. medical volunteers who participate in surgical missions overseas. They will play an integral part in day-to-day operations for the team, including volunteer screening, onboarding, engagement, communications and more. They will also work on special projects for the team that focus on improving volunteer satisfaction and customer service.
· Introduction to volunteer management
· Customer service experience
· Database management
· General knowledge of non-profit operations
· Time management
· Cultural awareness
· Office experience
· Support the volunteer screening process by monitoring new applications, completing reference checks and following up on background checks for new U.S. volunteers.
· Assist with tracking of U.S. volunteer team fees; follow up with volunteers for outstanding payments after missions.
· Support the U.S. Volunteer Coordinator with general and volunteer-specific inquires.
· Modify and update U.S. volunteer data in the Global Volunteer Management System.
· Develop and post content for the U.S. Volunteer Facebook group.
· Participate in team meetings, events and other projects as requested.
Minimum requirements/experience required:
· Interest and passion for Operation Smile’s mission.
· Recent graduate or student pursuing a bachelor or master’s degree preferred.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office (word, excel and PowerPoint).
· Must be highly motivated, detail-oriented and well organized.
· Ability to work independently.
· Previous database management experience, desired but not required.
· Excellent communication and customer service skills required.
· Multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Minimum of 15-20 hours per week (Within the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm, M-F)
· Minimum of 3-month commitment require
Operation Smile, Inc.
Website : http://www.operationsmile.org